Walton & Hersham FC was formed from the amalgamation of Walton-on-Thames FC and Hersham FC following the resumption of football after the Second World War.

Walton & Hersham FC History

Brief histories of the pre-merger days of Walton-on-Thames FC and Hersham FC can also be found on this site.

Details for the current season can be found on the official club website.

Major Honours

Athenian League Champions 1968-69

FA Amateur Cup Winners 1972-73


Walton FC and Hersham FC were always fierce rivals who for many years played their home matches at grounds just one mile apart. Amalgamation talks had first taken place as early as the 1912/13 season but it was rejected by 22 votes to 7. It was not discussed again until April 1923 but this time the vote was tied and, with no casting vote available, the teams remained separate. Talks were held again during the 1932/33 season but as previously the nays won the day. Following the end of hostilities in 1945 the two clubs met once again to discuss an amalgamation and, with Hersham no longer having a ground to call their own, finally a deal was done. The Walton FC AGM approving the merger, held at The Plough public house, also decided that the new Walton & Hersham FC would join the equally new Corinthian League.

Corinthian League days

Once the merger was finally agreed the team played its home matches, as it has done ever since, at Stompond Lane but the first competitive match on 1 September 1945 was away against Epsom Town in the Corinthian League where the Swans lost 7-1. Strangely the first competitive match at Stompond Lane three weeks later was also against Epsom Town, although this time in the F.A. Cup, and where the Swans metered out an 11-0 mauling. Quite a turnaround in just twenty one days!

The 1945-46 season was not one of note as the team finished seventh in a division of nine. 1946-47 was somewhat different with the club crowned Corinthian League champions and the title was also won in the following two seasons with "just" runners up spot following in 1949-50. That was to prove to be the last season in the Corinthian league as the club were elected to the Athenian League from 1950-51 onwards.


Moving to the Athenian League

The Swans started life in the Athenian League very well, finishing as runners up in their first season in 1950-51 having topped the table at one stage. This season also saw them progress to the Quarter Final stage of the F.A. Amateur Cup where they were beaten in a replay at Stompond Lane by the mighty Bishop Auckland. Success was forthcoming in the Surrey Senior Cup where the Swans came from behind to beat Dulwich Hamlet in the Final played at Selhurst Park. Although only finishing 7th in the Athenian league in the following 1951-52 season the Swans made it even further in the F.A. Amateur Cup before being beaten by Walthamstow Avenue in a Semi-final played at Craven Cottage. On the way they knocked out two clubs from County Durham, Bishop Auckland (away) and Crook Town (in a replay at Stompond Lane), the former having previously been unbeaten at home in the F.A. Amateur Cup for 19 years. 1952-53 was a very similar story with the Swans being defeated in the F.A. Amateur Cup Semi-final again, this time by Harwich & Parkeston at Griffin Park. In the league they again finished in 7th place. The subsequent four seasons were largely uneventful other than when the club failed to apply to take part in the F.A. Cup in 1956-57! League performances were getting worse and in 1956-57 the Swans finished 14th in a division of 15 teams.

In the following season the F.A. Cup brought some light to what was a dismal season. After having previously played six ties the 1st Round Proper of the Cup was reached for the first time with the Swans drawn at home against Southampton, the league side coasting to a 6-1 win. The 1957-58 Cup run was in complete contrast to the league where the Swans finished bottom of 16 teams.

For 1958-59 the club followed most others when it scrapped its Selection Committee, following this with the appointment of former fans favourite Reg Sentance as manager. Whilst the Swans reached the semi-final of the Surrey Senior Cup, losing to Woking, the league performance barely improved with a finishing position of 15th, one place off the bottom.

Reg Sentance was replaced as manager for 1959-60 by Don Stoker who was to be around for many years to come. Initially the results of his managerial reign were similar to his predecessor with relative success in the Surrey Senior Cup (beaten finalists) but poor league performances (14th out of 16). The 1960-61 season saw the Surrey Senior Cup won with a 2-1 victory over Wimbledon at Sandy Lane, Mitcham and a league position of 5th was a vast improvement compared to recent seasons. At one stage in that season the Swans played 13 cup matches in a row.

The next four seasons were more of the same with the Surrey Senior Cup retained in 1961-62 and the Semi-final reached in 1963-64. League positions ranged from 5th to 7th. There were events off the field though, with a new stand built over the summer of 1963 and permission granted for floodlights to be installed, all of which led to a doubling of the rent paid to the Council for the use of the ground.

The floodlights were installed in time for the 1965-66 season and the first match played under them was against Worthing in a league match on 24 August 1965. The official switch on, a month later, was celebrated with a home match against a Tottenham Hotspur XI which featured Jimmy Greaves. The league position was not improved, however, with a lowly 11th place finish. The Swans did enter a new Midweek Floodlit league comprising 10 teams and which at that time featured an innovative 3 points for a win. 1966-67 saw no improvement and the Swans finished in 13th place in the league. This was also the last season in which Don Stoker was in charge and he was replaced by Allen Batsford.