Architect & lead one of the most impactful project of a generation: rethinking human communication, starting with the deaf & hard-of-hearing
Ava started as a mobile and cloud-based deep-learning system able to uniquely daisy chain mobile devices' microphones to accurately live transcribe any conversation. As users brought it in masse at work and school, the platform quickly added human curation through live professional transcribers, multiple languages, and web / desktop compatibility.
We're looking for an experienced Engineering Lead (or higher position) to empower a sharp AI-driven engineering team and the architecture of our systems to be able to reach the next level of scale.
If you've successfully built and scaled systems, including with other engineers, and are able to articulate well together business, product and technical challenges to build a robust backend, and you are now looking to make a huge impact on society, this would be a real ideal position for you.
← All Open Positions and More About Ava • Role • Ava • Apply
About this Role
You'd be perfect for this role if:
- You have a strong desire to manage, empower and grow a team of engineers from 8 to 50 (and beyond), wanting to really develop yourself as a great engineering leader.
- You still want to grow your technical chops, and expect to contribute technically in a meaningful way — this is a startup environment where lots is left to build!
- You've built great quality products that have reached a large audience, and have been involved in key decisions regarding building systems for a large scale.
- You can learn technologies as you go, exceptionally fast. To you, technologies are about tools and tradeoffs, not an ideology.
- You care and can think deeply about the business implications of our engineering work. You're not just going after cool stuff — you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- You're a great and articulate communicator.
- Bonus: You've led or had a senior role within an engineering team before, in a high-growth environment and helped build and develop a strong engineering culture.
- Bonus: You've designed/worked closely on the architecture of complex systems such as:
- real-time peer-to-peer communication (we’re connecting in low-latency, sometimes with BT or offline situations, multiple devices from smartphones to computers)
- call centers or similar queue systems (we’re building the largest network of real-time transcription professionals, available in 30-seconds)
- real-time text collaboration or algorithm-heavy tech problems (AI & 1 to 3 humans can seamlessly collaborate on figuring out who says what and keep updating the transcript - solving synchronization requires algorithmic chops)
- Bonus: You're very familiar with Node.js, React.js, Typescript, WebRTC
- Bonus: MS in Computer Science in top university