The ideal time zones to work from would be GMT to GMT+6. Team meetings usually happen between 9:00 and 15:00 GMT.
About this role
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to build up and strengthen the core of our engineering team.
This role focuses on open-source application development in an organization with a global footprint and scale. As a key senior member of the team, you will be expected to demonstrate strong leadership skills and actively contribute to team management. This includes ensuring that team members receive the necessary support to excel in their roles.
We will rely on you to make architectural and implementation decisions, co-lead the work and processes of the engineering team, and contribute to cross-cutting concerns such as information security and DevOps.
You will have the opportunity to partner with all teams at Ushahidi, influence product development, and directly liaise with customers, activists, open-source developers, and users.
You will report directly to our Director of Technology.
Ushahidi believes in setting up each of our roles to shine within and outside the organization. This role can become your platform to effect change in the world, connect with other caring humans, participate in exciting events, and build the next step in your career.
- Mission-driven. You're looking to use your skills to develop software that has a tangible social good. Social justice, open-source and international development are subjects that you would like to be directly involved with.
- Accountable, independent, and intrinsically motivated. Given the freedom to work anywhere at flexible times, you can find your way towards commonly agreed results and work autonomously.
- Open-minded and team-oriented. Our team is small, diverse, and tightly knit. You are not afraid to ask questions and collaborate effectively in a remote environment. You understand how you'll find more growth and success by extending collaboration beyond the circle of the engineering team. You demand and offer accountability to your colleagues.
- Empathic and effective while communicating in your day-to-day work.
- You have mastered the principles of developing an application around public REST API interfaces.
- You have some experience coordinating engineering efforts in Agile environments.
- You are open to be working with and happy to continue evolving the following technology stack:
- Front-end: ES6, SPA frameworks: Angular 14.x (and possibly other), micro-frontends.
- Back-end: PHP, Laravel, MySQL. Macro and micro-services
- Comfy with HTML and CSS frameworks
- Happy to build on the Ionic platform for mobile apps.
- You've got some background or are willing to dive into these cross-cutting topics:
- Data integrity assurance and auditing practices,
- Information security,
- DevOps, integration of development and release processes,
- Open-source development.
- Set up to work remotely: we'll provide you with a laptop, but you'll need a stable internet connection and an environment suitable to participate in video conferences.