Note: This note is for those who have already read the book. The book is really compact, this note cannot replace it (and I do not want to). The book is not short, neither is this note!
☝ This note isn’t finished yet! I’m still reading the book!
Infor & Preface
- Full name: You Don't Know JS Yet (2nd edition)
- Author: Kyle Simpson
- getify/You-Dont-Know-JS on Github
- It's not just for starters, but for all developers who want to understand deeper.
- "The primary point of the title “You Don’t Know JS Yet” is to point out that most JS developers don’t take the time to really understand how the code that they write works."
- "My suggestion is you take your time going through YDKJSY. Take one chapter, read it completely through start to finish, and then go back and re-read it section by section. Stop in between each section, and practice the code or ideas from that section. For larger concepts, it probably is a good idea to expect to spend several days digesting, re-reading, practicing, then digesting some more."
Chap 1 — What is JS?
What's With That Name?
- Not related with Java at all, not just a script but a programming language.
- "Java" → attract mostlty Java programmers, "Script" → light weight.
- Official name specified by TC39 as "ECMAScript" (ES).
- JS in browsers or Node.js is an implementation of ES2019 standard.
- Hosted by ECMA.
- Don't use "JS6" or "ES8", use "ES20xx" or "JS".
- Who decides a new version of JS? → TC39 (~50-100 members) by votes via 5 stages.
- There is just one JS in the wild (not multiple versions).