Had a chat with my Kernel mentor Kyle (https://twitter.com/bestape) last week. He works in the music, legal and DAO space (kali dao, lex dao, gitcoin among others). Our conversation led to what we’re doing over at SC and our upcoming cohort. Told him that we’re exploring massive scale collaboration with all the outputs being presented as a headless artist in the back end. Chaos music nfts = all attributed to one artist: Chaos.
Some of our discussions:
- Who owns the IP in this type of project? He says, typically the legal entity of the DAO owns the IP. I shared with him that we are pursuing an UNA as a legal entity. He did a quick research of an UNA and his reply is: this type of entity is potentially leading to a 501c (non profit), but it needs to be activated so that the government sees it as such. Otherwise, this would be seen as a “partnership”. In relation to IP, the people who are part of this entity share the IP of the whole project. Note: I’m trying my best to remember our conversation so I might have missed a few elements here.
- What about CC.0? He recommends this if we are exploring the NFTs to be public goods.
- Moral rights vs Economic rights:
- Moral rights are the rights a creator owns once the work has been done. It is non transferrable and you always have it UNLESS you sign it away ie signing master rights to a label.
- Economic rights: the right to receive splits and profits. This model is something that is much more closer to how we divy up rights in the NFT space. A split is a placeholder for ownership. This I think is how we operated in the past.
A few things I’ve been thinking about lately:
- What if we release the whole Chaos NFTs as CC0. Allowing it to be a public good and for people to remix/reuse it? (We’re still going to sell it)
- What if there’s a model we can explore, similar to Holly+, such that a holder of the NFT has the right to remix/reuse the NFT (and the media it holds)? What if there was an on-chain process to submit these remixes (from NFT holders) and let everyone from the Chaos cohort decide which ones gets accepted as canon? This might all happen post-NFT release.
- “Chaotic abundance” is the word that keeps popping in my head.