👉 This is an official page created by Prisma Labs, Inc. the company behind Lensa app. This is live FAQ, new sections might be added.
How Lensa works?
- The Magic Avatars feature operates based on an open-source neural network model called Stable Diffusion. It is made by Stability AI.
- The Neural Network was trained on a sizable set of Internet data to generate images from the text prompts – small pieces of text describing the desired scene in the output image.
- By default, Stable Diffusion generates a random person's appearance if the prompt mentions a term “human” in the image.
- Lensa leverages a copy of the model to make output images personalized, and re-trains it on 10 to 20 user photos.
- The training process takes on average 10 minutes and requires an enormous amount of computational power – the machine is making approx. 120 million billion (yes, it's not a typo) of mathematical operations to analyze a single set of photos.
- The trained model starts generating personalized images – Avatars – consuming approximately the same amount of computational power.
- After the batch of Avatars is created, the shared photos are deleted permanently from our servers, as well as the copy of the model. Each time a user purchases a new pack of Avatars, the process repeats from scratch; that's why we ask you to upload photos every time you request a new package.
Can the model be used for facial recognition systems?
- No, Lensa doesn't have a "one-size-fits-all collective neural network" trained to reproduce any face based on aggregated learnings.
- Each time the user uploads a picture, an individual copy of the model gets trained to reproduce one particular face. This means that every user will encounter an individual version of the model.
- Once the model is done with production of Avatars, it gets deleted along with the original photos.
- Each model takes 4Gb of disk space. Storing every copy for each of millions of our users is neither necessary nor sustainable for our business.
What data do we store and where?
- We are fully GDPR and CCAP compliant. We store the minimal amount of data necessary to provide quality service to our users. Our servers are located in northern Virginia, Ohio, and Oregon.
- The photos uploaded to create avatars are deleted from our servers after the processing is complete, along with the model trained on each individual set of photos.
- Users can permanently delete their avatars from the device and our servers by swiping left or the chosen pack at any given moment.
- For other Prisma/Lensa services, we request the rights to store and process user content to develop the apps and add new features.