If you're completely new to rugby, this section is for you - it's is really important to understand the differences between rugby and other sports.
Wikipedia - Rugby
See the page here:
Rugby union - Wikipedia
- Integrity: Integrity is central to the fabric of the game and is generated through honesty and fair play.
- Passion: Rugby people have a passionate enthusiasm for the game. Rugby generates excitement, emotional attachment and a sense of belonging to the global rugby family.
- Solidarity: Rugby provides a unifying spirit that leads to life-long friendships, camaraderie, teamwork and loyalty which transcends cultural, geographic, political and religious differences
- Discipline: Discipline is an integral part of the game both on and off the field and is reflected through adherence to the laws, theregulations and rugby’s core values.
- Respect: Respect for team-mates, opponents, match officials and those involved in the game is paramount.
If you have 20 minutes, this video best describes the sport, its atmosphere and values:
Comparison of rugby and american football (NFL)
For someone playing rugby, these are complete different. But rather check this link where you can find quite good comparison:
American Football vs Rugby
Rugby ball can be a frequent object in designs. There is only one thing that needs to be said. Rugby ball is not the ball for american football. The iconic Gilbert ball is in the video below. When we display ball in the design, we use the main shapes (here blue and green) but not the sign ("Gilbert").