🌍 This page is public. Read about our take on public when possible, private when necessary.
👐 Maintained @Johannes Landgraf. Contribute to this page using following our contributor flow.
Developers architect our future. Gitpod frees developers from the friction of manual, stateful, and local developer environments. This is the next logical step in automating our software delivery pipelines. Several key trends accelerate that:
- Larger, more complex workloads with more data/dependencies
- Remote work and collaboration
- Software supply chain security - remove source code from unsecured machines and networks
We have built developer tools, created programming languages and successfully grew open source communities over the last 10 years. We are developers ourselves - now we capitalize on our learnings and build a company that simplifies the lives of all developers out there.
Core values are who **we are. An authentic representation of where we are coming from and a guiding compass on where we are going. They are horizontal to our work, our community, and the products and services crafted on Gitpod. As we are growing, who we are matures side-by-side.
We, not me
We show up for the team, not for ourselves. We trust and empower each other. We make heroes and unblock others.
- Psychological safety and diversity of gender, race, thought, and otherwise are foundational for high-performing teams. When people feel safe and know they are valued for who they are, everything they produce becomes excellent. We make equitable space at the table.
- Ego is the enemy - we think more about each other than ourselves. In turn, you get a team that is rooting for you every single day.
- Asynchronous work allows for more time to build and less time wasted in meetings. It is inclusive for our global team and enables collaboration, no matter the timezone.
Integrate, don’t dictate
We are humble and kind. We first seek to understand, then be understood – with products and people around us.
- Orthogonality is baked into our product design and How we work. We don't build new solutions if there is an existing widely adopted one. We strive for sane reusable abstractions that can be composed in ways we haven't anticipated. We build on the success of others.
- Our community is the heartbeat of Gitpod. Their feedback drives our product and helps shape how and what we prioritize. We are committed to fostering connection by supporting and empowering our community.
- Build in the open. Transparency helps build a community of trust. Openness creates access between Gitpod and our community helping us stay ahead. Public when possible, private when necessary.
Students of the game
We build and learn in the open – always with curiosity. We invest in our personal and professional development.
- A culture of feedback helps us grow. With positive intent and selflessness in mind, we freely and respectfully give and receive feedback to better ourselves and Gitpod as a whole.
- We stay entrepreneurial developing resilience and agility. We commit to being stretched and increase our tolerance in adversity.
- We operate as managers of one, taking personal responsibility for commitments, growth, and development. Everyone takes ownership of their responsibilities and is accountable for accomplishing them.