All Micronauts must follow our Code of Conduct, including adapting to expected behaviors and avoiding unacceptable behaviors.
🚩 See here to report a violation of the Code of Conduct.
Expected Behavior at Microverse
Every Micronaut is expected to work smart, be considerate of their teammates across the school, and contribute to a collaborative, positive, and healthy environment in which we can all succeed. Specifically, we expect all Micronauts to follow these expected behaviors:
- Be supportive of fellow students, both proactively and responsively.
- Offer to help if you see someone struggling or otherwise in need of assistance (taking care not to be patronizing or disrespectful).
- If someone approaches you looking for help, be generous with your time; if you’re under a deadline, let them know when you will be able to help or direct them to someone else who may be of assistance.
- Use inclusive language, and strive to see the person first before their gender, religion, culture, or race.
- Do not make judgments or comments based on someone else's race, gender, or religion. It's okay to be curious and want to learn about others' cultures from a place of utmost respect.
- If your partner offers a comment that you disagree with, ask why they said that, instead of making assumptions based on their intentions, race, gender, or religion.
- Respect different viewpoints and experiences.
- At Microverse we have students from all different types of nationalities, religions, and ethnicity.
- We expect you to be respectful of differences in opinions and beliefs.
- Be collaborative.
- Involve your teammates in brainstorms, sketching sessions, code reviews, planning documents, and the like.
- Expect to be collaborative by being open to learning from others, listening to your teammates, asking questions, being respectful, and speaking up when you aren't comfortable with something.
- Be generous in both giving and accepting feedback.
- Feedback is a natural and important part of our culture, and you are expected to give and receive feedback with gratitude.
- Good feedback is kind, respectful, clear, and constructive, and focused on goals and values rather than personal preferences.
- Express empathy towards fellow students.
- Empathy is the ability to recognize, understand, and share the thoughts and feelings of another person. If a partner takes longer to understand something, you show empathy and understanding and help them however you can.
- When a student has a different point of view on something, you do not judge the person, but try to understand their point of view while keeping in mind that people are very different, and that’s okay.
- Be kind.
- Be polite and friendly in all forms of communication — especially remote communication, where opportunities for misunderstanding are greater.
- Avoid sarcasm. The tone is hard to decipher online; make liberal use of emojis, GIFs, and Bitmojis to aid in communication.
- Use Zoom meetings with video instead of Slack chat whenever possible, especially for difficult conversations or when conflict arises; face-to-face discussion has all kinds of social cues that may go missing in other forms of communication.
- Be responsible and accountable to other students.
- In a team environment, everyone has to do their part to create a positive, engaging work environment where all are committed to the task they are working on.
Microverse is committed to providing a welcoming and safe environment for all. Discrimination and harassment are expressly prohibited. Furthermore, any behavior or language that is unwelcoming — whether or not it is intended to be that way — is strongly discouraged. We expect all Micronauts to learn what harassment is and avoid unacceptable behaviors.
As a member of the Microverse community, you acknowledge that you will not post or say anything abusive, rude, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-oriented. Any material that suggests illegal activity or contains illegal content is also forbidden. Any harassing or threatening of another student, mentor, or Microverse employee is not allowed and will not be tolerated.
- Avoid sexual harassment of any kind.
- No commenting on someone's appearance like telling someone that they are pretty.
- No asking someone about their sexual orientation.
- No asking someone about their dating life.
- No sexual jokes of any kind.
- Avoid personal harassment of any kind.
- No releasing another student's or mentor's private information, such as an address or phone number, without permission.
- No taking screenshots of someone's photo.