Product strategy lessons and key learnings from each episode.
Spotify: A Product Story
Finding an opening in a world of music piracy
Episode 1: How do you steal from a pirate?
- Convenience trumps everything.
- Don't be afraid to break the rules.
- Great ambition is what attracts great talent.
- All truly great products have to pull of some sort of magic trick. (for early Spotify, it was speed).
Finding a business model for a (perceived) commodity
Episode 2: How do you charge for nothing?
- User research is great — for understanding what users think they will do, not what they will actually do.
- Whether you realise it or not, you're always optimising for something (at the expense of other things).
- Really great product development almost always combines technological innovation with business model innovation
Reinventing the business model for mobile
Episode 3: This party is going to end
- Never try to fight a macro wind — you will lose.
- Test big, or go home. But remember: Test as different as possible, not as much as possible.
- Look at the competition — and then do something completely different.
- It's better to be lower on a taller mountain that to be higher on a lower mountain. (Because you have more potential ahead of you)
Making Artificial Intelligence work