This page is maintained by @Paul Keller & @Dimi Dimitrov
- Q4 2019: discussion of draft texts in the Raad voor de Intellectuele Eigendom / Conseil de la Propriété Intellectuelle.
- 05-03-2020: The Council for Intellectual Property shared consolidated draft texts (not public at this stage) to implement Articles 1 to 17 of the CDSM directive, together with an explanatory memorandum:
- 20-05-2020: The Council for Intellectual Property shared a new version of consolidated texts to implement Articles 1 to 17 of the CDSM directive (non public consultation version):
- 21-01-2021: Wikimedia Belgium, Creative Commons BE and memoo sent a position paper to the responsible Belgian ministry cabinets (Pierre-Yves Dermagne, Vice-eersteminister en minister van Economie en Werk & Mathieu Michel, Staatssecretaris voor Digitalisering) and the government IPR unit (Dienst voor de Intellectuele Eigendom).
- 26-02-2021: The Copyright Unit of FOD Economie - SPF Economie sent draft implementation documents to stakeholders and asked for written input by 12 March 2021.
- 12-03-2021: WMBE and CCBE as well as Meemoo provided input.
- 04-06-2021: The Belgian Council of Ministers agreed on a preliminary draft DCDSM transposition on 4 June (see FR – NL announcement). This draft has been sent to the Council of State for an opinion. The status of this procedure is unclear. No opinion can be found yet on the Council’s website. However, there appears to be a certain delay in the publication of these opinions.
- 19-06-2022: The implementation law (L 2022-06-19/03) is approved. Most of the provisions come into force on 1st August 2022.
📑 National implementation overview
The draft legal texts shared by the Council for Intellectual Property seem to indicate that the Belgium legislator will implement different parts of the CDSM directive via separate legislative projects.
Belgium implementation structure
🔎 Key resources
- Proposed text to implement Articles 1-16 and Explanatory Memorandum shared by the Council for Intellectual Property on 05-03-2020
- Proposed text to implement Article 17 and Explanatory Memorandum shared by the Council for Intellectual Property on 05-03-2020