Week 6

Decided to do a different kind of experimentation this week. I wondered if it would be viable to use S-Video to do tapeless capture and skip the mini-dv encoding. The result aren’t bad, both video have different kind of ”issues”. Obviously the quality will be way worse then doing raw capture from the sensors.

The key here is to record the S-Video in realtime. Some people have argue that S-Video is worse, but that’s because they record the tape and not the live feed. Mini-DC on the left, S-Video is on the right.

Not how the cable coming out of the keyboard, the texture on the desk and the text on the raspberry pi (green circuit) are all clearer and sharper. There is some nice details on the hand in Mini-DV.


I’m currently investigating the ADV7280 family of chip, which can sample video and output data via the MIPI protocol, available on raspberry pi. I’ve started a page which a bunch of link here ‣. It seems like there is already a driver for the chip in the raspi kernel, which is nice.

Did some additional work on the Teensy+Lua script to grab that directly from the sensor. I’m surprised by the performance, I can grave 30fps almost in real time. I could probably re-code the Lua script in C if I need more performance, but this will at least allow me to reconstruct images from the data capture by the Teensy.

AG-DVX100B/dvx-grabber.lua at master · lerabot/AG-DVX100B

Week 5 (May 22nd 2022)

Barely no work this week. Asa is going to solder a 0.5mm flat flex on the Altera chip.


Soldering the flat cable was a bad idea, and even at low temperature, the plastic cable melt. We found some 28AWG cable and Asa pratices soldering that one a old hard drive who had a chip with a similar package.

Week 4

Did some experiment with the Teensy 4.1 microcontroller, mostly benchmarking if recording on the built-in SD card reader would be feasible. Turn out the max speed is about 17 mbps and we need around 30. I did manage to create test file and save at around 8mpbs.