Last Updated: 7/29/21
The "Automated Legal Products Competition" Contest (advertised here: https://afterpattern.com/automate-the-law) is sponsored and administered by Community.lawyer, P.B.C, d/b/a Afterpattern.
The winners of the Contest will be selected based on merit. No purchase of any products or services is necessary, and doing so will not increase your likelihood of winning. Only Contest Entries from eligible people in the District of Columbia or a state within the United States will be accepted. All other Contest Entries are prohibited and void.
By completing a submission for the Contest, the Contest Entrant (and any company they are acting as an authorized agent for) agrees to the following terms and conditions:
I. Contest Period & How to Participate
- Initial Period. The Initial Period starts on May 11, 2021 at 12:00:01 AM Eastern Standard Time and ends on June 12, 2021 at 12:00:00 AM Eastern Standard Time. We reserve the right to extend the initial period another 10 business days in our sole discretion.
- Pitch Contestant Acceptance. The Pitch Contestants will be informed of their selection on or before July 12, 2021. After the Pitch Contestants are informed of their selection, they will have five business days to accept the selection by completing, signing, and emailing the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A Statement of Pitch Contestant Acceptance
- A W-9 Form
- A Liability and Publicity Releasec
- Pitch Contestant Rejection. If no acceptance is received from the selected Pitch Contestant within five business days, the next highest scoring entry will be informed of their selection as a Pitch Contestant.
- Pitch Contestant Publication. On August 4, 2021, the Pitch Contestants will be announced publicly and short summaries of the entries will be posted on the Afterpattern website.
- Public Voting. On August 4, 2021, members of the public will be able to vote for their favorite Pitch Contestant by completing the pitch voting form posted on the Afterpattern website. For a vote to be valid, it must be cast by a person voting for the first and only time in this contest cycle and that person must provide a valid email address. We reserve the right in our sole discretion to exclude any votes that we believe are not valid.
- Pitch Contestant Feedback. Pitch Contestants will receive written and/or verbal feedback about their submissions on or before August 13, 2021 from both the Afterpattern team and the Contest judges.
- Pitch Presentation. Pitch Contestants will pitch their submission during a live webinar on August 24, 2021. Each pitch will last three minutes, followed by five minutes of questions from the judges.
- Prizes Distribution.
- Cash: On or before September 1, 2021, a check for $5,000 will be mailed to the address listed on contest submission form. The check will be payable to the Contest Entrant, if a law student, and to the Company the Contestant Entrant was acting as authorized representative for, if a company.
- Subscription: Provided the contest entrant creates an account on the Afterpattern platform, the contest entrant’s account will be upgraded to the designated tier on September 1, 2021 and the free period will last until August 31, 2022.
- Tutoring: Between September 1, 2021 and August 31, 2022, the contest entrant will be able to schedule tutoring sessions for a cumulative length less than or equal to the hours awarded. Tutoring will be with an Afterpattern employee or a vetted independent contractor with expertise using the Afterpattern platform. The entrant can schedule no more than five (5) hours of tutoring in a given week and scheduling will be subject to the tutor’s availability. Any unused tutoring hours will expire after August 31, 2022.
- Estimated Retail Value of Prizes.
- First Prize: $5,000 cash prize, plus $1,500 worth of tutoring, plus $4,320 Annual Enterprise subscription, for a total estimated retail value of $10,820.
- Second Prize: $375 worth of tutoring, plus $2,160 Annual Business subscription, for a total estimated retail value of $2,535.
- Third Prize: $375 worth of tutoring, plus $2,160 Annual Business subscription, for a total estimated retail value of $2,535.
- Fourth Prize: $1,080 Annual Professional subscription, for a total estimated retail value of $1,080.
- Fifth Prize: $1,080 Annual Professional subscription, for a total estimated retail value of $1,080.
- Official Timekeeper. The official timekeeping device for this contest is the computer of the president of Afterpattern.
- General Eligibility. The contest is only open to submissions from:
- Law students: Legal residents of a state within the United States or of the District of Columbia who are currently enrolled as law students or who graduated from law school in 2021; or
- Companies: Partnerships, corporations, sole proprietorships, limited liability companies, and limited liability partnerships lawfully organized within a state in the United States or in the District of Columbia.
- Contest Entrant.
- Residency: The contest entrant (i.e. the person who completes the submission form) must be a legal resident of a state within the United States or of the District of Columbia.
- Age: They must be 18 years of age or older at the time of the submission.
- Authorized: For a submission on behalf of business, the entrant must be an authorized representative of the business (e.g. an owner or CEO).
- Additional Rules.
- Insiders: Employees of Afterpattern, contest judges, and any spouses, children, siblings, or parents of Afterpattern employees and contest judges are not eligible to apply for the contest.
- Proof of eligibility: ****We may request additional documentation or proof that an entrant meets the eligibility requirements and may, in our sole discretion, terminate the entrant’s participation in the contest if we believe they are not eligible.
- Limit of one submission: An eligible law student or company may only enter the contest once per calendar year.
- Pitch Contestants not eligible: Contest Entrants selected as ****Pitch Contestants of the contest are not eligible to enter the contest again.
- New ideas only: Eligible product ideas must be new ideas. A product is not considered eligible under this rule if at the start of the Initial Period of the Contest you have already started to build the product. For example, your product is not eligible if any of the following applies to it at the start of the Initial Period of the Contest: