Subscribe to get more book digests: https://acacess.substack.com/subscribe
🚀 The Book in 3 Sentences
☘️ How the Book Changed Me
✍️ Top Quotes From the Book
- Both forces—the Busy Bandwagon and the Infinity Pools—are powerful because they’ve become our defaults.
- Being more productive didn’t mean I was doing the most important work; it only meant I was reacting to other people’s priorities faster.
- The first step is choosing a single highlight to prioritize in your day. Next, you’ll employ specific tactics to stay laser-focused on that highlight—we’ll offer a menu of tricks to beat distraction in an always-connected world. Throughout the day, you’ll build energy so you can stay in control of your time and attention. Finally, you’ll reflect on the day with a few simple notes.
- Every day, you’ll choose a single activity to prioritize and protect in your calendar.
- Doing more doesn’t help you create time for what matters; it just makes you feel even more frazzled and busy.
- Choosing your daily Highlight starts with asking yourself a question: What do I want to be the highlight of my day?
- The second Highlight strategy is to think about satisfaction: At the end of the day, which Highlight will bring me the most satisfaction?
- The third strategy focuses on joy: When I reflect on today, what will bring me the most joy?
- A good rule of thumb is to choose a Highlight that takes sixty to ninety minutes.
- Bundle up the small tasks and use batch processing to get them all done in one Highlight session. In other words, make a batch of small things your big thing.
- Once you’ve identified something that’s important to you, focusing on it day after day will help it take root in your life, grow, and flourish.
- Treat these blocks like important meetings, and when people try to double-book you, remember Graham’s simple and effective comeback: “I’ve already got plans.”
- When you don’t have a plan, you have to decide constantly what to do next, and you might get distracted thinking about all the things you should or could do.