As [PERSONS_NAME] manager, I need to [GOAL] so that I can [ACTION_ITEM]
EMPLOYEES_NAME - Always use the person's name (empathy)
GOAL - What are YOU trying to accomplish for this person.
ACTION_ITEM - The action you need to take to accomplish GOAL.
- As Amanda's manager, I want to learn more about her latest wins so that I can share the positive impact she's making across the team.
- As David's manager, I want to learn how current events are shaping productivity so that I can better support his progress through this time.
- As Mary's manager, I need to understand the challenges she's facing on the project so that I can surface possible project timeline impacts.
- As Jason's manager, I need to understand their career goals so that I can place him on relevant projects that match with their expectations.
- As Brian's manager, I need to communicate our expectations of them so that they can have more impact on the companies projected goals.
An agenda can encompass goals that you want to take on or goals the employee should take on. Either way, coming to the meeting with an agenda of what needs to be accomplished is important in order to have a transparent and honest conversation that is productive.
Catch up (10 minutes)