Rested is committed to building a company that benefits from a wide diversity of backgrounds and perspectives. Diversity is intersectional and complex, based on both visible and invisible characteristics. Diversity is important to us because we know:
- There is a strong moral case for diversity. Developing a diverse team at Rested is inherently valuable.
- Additionally, there is a strong business case for diversity at Rested. Having a diverse team enables us to understand customer problems more fully, develop more creative solutions, and better serve a diverse customer base.
Rested is committed to People practices that put equity at the core. Specifically, we will:
- Use pre-determined rubrics and scorecards for hiring and evaluation to reduce the effect of implicit bias
- Hire based on values-fit, not culture-fit when decisions are subjective
- Use numbers to measure progress and make equity a major topic in regular strategy and planning meetings
- Make "empathy" a core hiring goal, because an empathetic team can best understand the needs of our customers and each other
Rested is committed to building an inclusive culture, where all team members feel a sense of belonging. We know that culture sets in quickly at start-ups, so building our culture with intention now is critical. We will:
- Support all team members on their journey of career growth, through:
- Clear role expectations and requirements (even if as they change)
- Effective training on tasks key to role performance
- Consistent openness to questions and curiosity
- Frequent feedback supported by specific examples
- Support all team members on their journey outside of work, through:
- Encouraging people to bring their "whole selves" to work while maintaining a workplace culture that enables them to do so
- Seeing and respecting the "team" behind the individual: family, friends, community, etc.
- Supporting team members through tough times and celebrating happy times
- We recognize as Rested leaders we have benefited from various privileges in life and society. We are committed to using that privilege to speak up for those not in the room and spotlighting/amplifying voices that aren't being heard.
Our vision is that the work we do at Rested will bring more diversity, equity and inclusion to the world of sleep care as a whole. First, we aim to be a driving force in increasing the diversity of sleep professionals to best serve a diverse customer base. Second, we aim to expand access to high quality sleep care to all people who need it, regardless of ability to pay. We will do this through product innovation, business model innovation, and customer obsession.