This is the 6th edition of ZK-Roller-Coaster where we track and investigate the most exciting, meaningful, and crazy ZK-stuff of the prior two weeks.
And this is the first edition of ZK-Roller-Coaster produced by the Taiko community!
Special thanks to 7th edition contributors: umede, ex_scxr, msfew, anon212, yona, nightseeeker, taikoecosystem_.
Disclaimer: this is a collection of tweets, writings, videos, and other materials; these don’t express our opinion and may not necessarily be accurate. Please do (or continue) your own research.
Hold on tight! 🎢
Spice of the week 🌶️
- Jon Charbonneau ****did some research and ended up with the idea that “rollups are L1s.” Bruno from Matter Labs continued Jon’s thinking, backed his opinion on “what is a rollup and what isn’t” and shared an open letter to Jon.
The community picked the idea further and suddenly realized that everything is social consensus. ERC20 is “just social consensus, any ERC20 community can just fork away” (acc. to Dankrad). He disagreed that “a rollup is defined by its nodes,” highlighting that “a smart contract rollup is defined by its bridge.”
James Prestwch disagreed with Dankrad, claiming that “You, in fact, cannot build a SCRU without nodes. Users must run specialized software that evaluates the history and executes a state-transition function.”
Aug 15: a project on zkSync adds an extra layer of safety on top of zkSync’s rigorous defense-in-depth security approach
ZK and rollup research 🧙
- ethresearch: stateless rollup (by OneTrueKirk).
- Dougie DeLuca discussed how distributed sequencer technology (DST) could help decentralize rollup sequencers.
- zeroknowledge.fm podcast: The State of ZK with Anna and Kobi (by Anna Rose and Kobi Gurkan).
- Daniel Kang described how ZKPs could help verify that AI systems are operating without revealing sensitive information.
- A short explainer of why we use Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) and Inverse Fast Fourier Transform (IFFT) in ZK-PLONK by Rishabh Gupta.
- How do we make sure that the data supplied to the circuit is correct? (a fun little zk explainer ft. cake).
- Comparison of various Domain Specific Languages that be used for building ZK applications by Raghav
- Use cases of ZK apart from Scaling, privacy and interoperability by Raghav