- FYI: This is a living document and it'll likely change by the next time you read it. It, like myself, is constantly changing based on what's happening in my life and what I'm looking for. The last time it changed was December 1st, 2020.
Hey friend - thanks for taking a look at my little corner of the web. I'm an experienced software engineer, people manager, and entrepreneur, generally located on the West Coast of America.
I've been building software and startups my whole life, and I've been spending the last twenty-five years making mistakes, learning from them, and doing my best to improve the next time around.
Most recently, I've led the Engineering department at a ~50-person startup in Seattle working to make a positive change in cancer patients' lives, and working in the SRE function at a publicly traded identity management company.
What I'm interested in;
- Building a trusting engineering culture around customer focus, empathetic collaboration, and pragmatism.
- Overarching strategy - answering the hard questions around how to do more of the right things with less resources.
- Mentoring and guiding reports through the hard parts of the job, giving them room to fail and empowerment to succeed.
- Envisioning, implementing, and socializing the right processes - for the right scale of the team.
- Instilling the right level of architectural ethos in my teams - ensuring we avoid complex systems, no matter how complicated the problem is.
Things I've been up to recently;
- I've done heavy distributed systems architecture and coding.
- Most recently around container orchestration and microservice network routing.
- Previously, data storage and synchronization infrastructure - building an event sourcing toolset and database across multiple servers and regional zones.
- I've done work in the IoT space, focusing my efforts on device orchestration and provisioning, big data pipelines, and the user experience around failure recovery.
- I've been experimenting with transmitting data reliably over incredibly lossy links with latencies measured in days or weeks.
- I've been the Director of Engineering at a growth-stage startup.
- Reported to the CEO, and grew out our team, establishing a cohesive culture, driving for quality and customer focus, and ensuring delivery to internal and external stakeholders.
- I've been a technical co-founder of a handful of small startups - two of which resulted in positive exits.
My current research spaces include;
- Coding theory and implementations, including LDPC, Turbo, and Polar codes.
- Multi-party asymmetric key encryption schemes.
- CRDT vs OT data structures and databases.
- Late data binding and secure-by-default data storage schemes.