Note: We don’t think these are necessarily bad*, but may turn some folks off and want to be as upfront as we can be.*
Working at Gumroad isn't perfect. Some of those things are...
- Creators we disagree with may use Gumroad. Of course, there are many things we totally do not allow, but there are also lots of things that we do allow that aren't great either.
- Message Sahil for examples!
- There's not a lot of socialization. We're a bunch of part-timers making this thing happen, similar to an open source project like Rails.
- There's not a lot of room for growth. We're staying profitable, and not planning to double the team every year. While there will likely be a few leadership roles, there aren't plenty of them and they aren't built into the career path of working at Gumroad.
- We are open-minded in regards to crypto/NFTs, etc. We are a technology company, and we will embrace new technology if it helps creators and digital entrepreneurs turn their ideas into income.
- No PTO, health benefits, perks, etc. We may add this in the future–in our own way–but don’t today. We compensate with a good hourly rate.
To be clear, you should read the above and remain excited about working at Gumroad. The work we do isn’t easy, and spots are limited. If you’re not, it’s not a fit.