8,038 views•Streamed live on 18 Oct 2019
Notion Office Hours: Tiago Forte ✍️
Watched 10 March 2020
This Kanban format allows Tiago to see patterns: "here's an idea that's actually related to a blog-post I'm working on, so let me combine the two."
- https://youtu.be/sDNooHDj2Dk?t=1070 "Structure is expensive."
- https://youtu.be/sDNooHDj2Dk?t=1121 I advocate a just-in-time approach where you only add as much structure as is needed to solve the problem at hand.You're creating structure on demand in response to a real need."
- (Marie): Notion seems very complex, but it's so easy to move data in Notion, so you can move things around and change things, so you don't have to get it perfect right off the bat. You can adapt on the fly. Be a little messy as you go.
- https://youtu.be/sDNooHDj2Dk?t=1192 What is the correct amount of structure for the task at hand?
- https://youtu.be/sDNooHDj2Dk?t=1234 Tiago uses Notion for planning, for status, etc. He doesn't create in Notion, but in Evernote or Google Docs (especially when collaborating) and has a plugin that moves stuff from Google Docs to WP.
- https://youtu.be/sDNooHDj2Dk?t=1358 Uses Notion to store "Process Docs" for his personal assistants: exact descriptions (Scripts) of workflows so that someone else can replicate it easily. "What are the things you do so that if someone else handled them it would save you 10 hours a week?" Processes and Procedures.
- https://youtu.be/sDNooHDj2Dk?t=1692 Book mentioned is "Work the System : The Simple Mechanics of Making More and Working Less" by Sam Carpenter https://amzn.to/3aG2psk (affiliate link) (Revised third edition, 4th printing, September 1, 2014) (English Edition) Kindle (Digital) ￥1,132
- https://youtu.be/sDNooHDj2Dk?t=1776 Book #2 mentioned is The Million-Dollar, One-Person Business: Make Great Money. Work the Way You Like. Have the Life You Want. by Elaine Pofeldt (English Edition) Kindle Edition Kindle Digital) ￥1,300 https://amzn.to/3aEVaRp (affiliate link)
- https://youtu.be/sDNooHDj2Dk?t=1785 Book #3 mentioned is Company of One: Why Staying Small Is the Next Big Thing for Business by Paul Jarvis Kindle Edition
- https://youtu.be/sDNooHDj2Dk?t=2806 Every photo on his phone is synced with Google Photos. Categories: event-related photos; inspiration photos (of works of art or odd images that are ambiguous, thought-provoking, inspiring. Photos are reviewed in weekly review.
- https://youtu.be/sDNooHDj2Dk?t=2968 Q: How do you manage your time between management /admin stuff and creative work? A: Anything that is a time-specific obligation, on M, W and F. Tue and Thurs are my "starving Parisian artist" days when I often sleep in. I can't be creative in a 45-minute (pre-defined) time-slot. I don't even look at email on those days!"