What are your quirks?
Some terms I use to describe myself most frequently are: creator, optimist, heterodox, systems-thinker, curious, generalist, people-person. [add: honest]
- Creator: I feel the most Me when I'm creating something from scratch. When I'm initiating ideas from imagination into reality - be it creation of new processes, designing of visual objects and elements, or articulating the previously unarticulated (how meta, this is what I'm doing right now - and I'm absolutely getting a kick).
- Optimist: I am wired to find the silver lining in everything. I tend to do this for utilitarian purposes. My first reasoning is that many things are self-reinforcing - if I expect the best from myself, others and the world around me, I tend to find it being produced. Secondly, my perspective is that things are never as bad as they make out to be; that there is always good to be found, that's worth dwelling on.
- Heterodox: I cannot find fulfilment in borrowing answers if I cannot reach that same conclusion on own merit. In that sense, I am averse to the orthodoxy (or status quo). And the way I respond to a discussion of two radically different ideas is to step out of the matrix - to search deep within myself, educate myself and seek out the pros and cons of both sides, and draw out an honest, authentic conclusion from within. I also tend to assume everyone else knows something I don't.
- Systems-thinker: When presented with anything to do with systems and processes, I'm quick to remark when a system appears to be inefficient or well thought out. I often try to automate, systematise or delegate tasks that resemble maintenance work.
- Curious: I have an insatiable desire to learn. I find pleasure in understanding and discovering new ways of seeing things.
- Generalist: I take pride in being able to perform a wide variety of tasks and understanding a wide variety of subjects.
- People-person: I'm energised by working with people. I enjoy building relationships at work, as much as I do outside of it. I care deeply about the feelings and states of the people I work with. I love to empathetically listen and do my best to help.
Many of the "superpowers" above have their respective shadows. They are:
- Being curious, a creator, and a generalist, I often finding myself in need of a variety of projects happening at once. Although when I sit down on something I enjoy, I very easily engage with my flow state and find myself focusing on one thing for many hours.
- I'm working on being more self-disciplined to be able to focus on things I don't enjoy for an extended period of time. Call me out if you see me postponing certain tasks just to do the tasks I enjoy more.
- Being a heterodox, I may overthink or take too much time to reach a satisfactory conclusion, even on topics that may sometimes seem 'obvious' at first glance.
- Help me to decide on or execute a course of action instead of over-hypothesising or over-preparing!
- Being an optimist, I tend to just focus on the bright side and in doing so, may sometimes choose to ignore little nuances.
- Help me by showing me if I'm being naive or unrealistic, or I'm not spending enough time on a serious issue.
- Being an extroverted people-person, I may sometimes be too blunt with the words I use without intending to do so.
- If you see me being too blunt, call me out on that. I love taking constructive feedback - and I am very willing to reflect and acknowledge my growth areas at all times. Also know that I'm not coming from a place of aggression, but that I'm more likely just not articulating my thoughts in a way that is empathetic to the situation.
- I'm working on being more empathetic and listening to myself speak more*.*
What are some honest, unfiltered things about you?
- My deep why is: I want to make a tangible impact on people and make a mark on this world. I try to do this by:
- Taking every opportunity to create or do something that would make someone else's life better.
- Learning and attempting to understand things in and around me as objectively as possible, so that I may share it with others.
- Being kind, generous and demonstrating integrity in everything I do.
- Because I value impact, I need to be on the frontlines and see the direct outcome of my efforts. I also care about being recognised, as much as I might appear not to.
- I usually see the best in other people, and I dislike raising my assumptions to the level of absolutes. Hence, I often take a diplomatic stance. This is genuine, I usually find it easy to see merit in all sides.
- My creativity and generativeness is optimal when running on a maker's schedule - I work best when left engaged in my flow state for extended periods of time. I'm also the owl chronotype - I make the best decisions after lunch.