This procedure will inform you on how verify the presence of alt text on a web page.
Who can do this
What you need
- Testing Environment
- Access to developer's tools, such as Inspect (in Chrome)
To start, establish which of these are true for your situation:
- If there is no alt text in the content, there is nothing we can do in the code. No alt text will appear.
- Some images don’t need alt text (if they are just decoration, for instance)
- If we are in charge of content entry, it is our responsibility to make sure there is alt text on all images which should have it. If the client is in charge of content entry, we aren’t responsible for ensuring that alt text is present everywhere (though we strongly lobby for it since it is so critical for accessibility).
- On sites without a CMS, we are always in charge of content entry.
So, here is how you should check.
- If there is a CMS...
- If there is no CMS...