Who We Are: WellSaid Labs
We’re creating Voice for everyone.
At WellSaid Labs, we enable creatives around the globe by putting high-tech, human parity technology into their hands, giving them the ability to add voice-over to any project and iterate with ease. Creative teams use WellSaid Lab’s Voice Studio to create compelling employee training, design unique digital experiences, and narrate audiobooks. We believe deeply in AI for Good, and that technology should be empowering, engaging, and fair to all people.
We firmly believe in AI for good.
Who You Are: A People-First Engineering Leader
An experienced and collaborative engineering manager, you are an empathetic leader, and a strong communicator. You thrive in a startup environment, know the roles and processes needed to scale a web product, and have prior experience building 20+ person engineering teams. You are passionate about building sustainably and ethically.
How You’ll Contribute:
As our first VP of Engineering, you’ll work closely with the CTO to achieve large product, hiring, DEI, and ethics initiatives. You’ll grow our engineering team and serve our people. You’ll plan, execute and communicate on engineering initiatives.
In your day-to-day, you will:
- You’ll build out our engineering team from 10 to 50 through thoughtful planning, recruiting, and onboarding.
- You’ll align our hiring plan with business initiatives ensuring that we hire with purpose. You’ll work with our business team to execute the hiring plan, including budgeting and forecasting.
- You’ll run inclusive interviews by proactively supporting candidate needs. You’ll run unbiased interviews in part by setting expectations prior to evaluating candidates.
- You’ll support diversity initiatives by reaching out and recruiting from marginalized and underrepresented populations.
- You’ll work collaboratively and transparently with stakeholders to prioritize engineering requests in a manner that aligns with WellSaid Labs’ values.
- You’ll roadmap engineering initiatives, and keep people up-to-date. You’ll break down big initiatives into smaller tasks.
- You’ll work one-on-one with stakeholders ensuring they are heard and there is agreement on priorities.
- You’ll prioritize initiatives that are not customer-centric. This includes prioritizing ethics-based initiatives around accessibility and content moderation. You’ll ensure that our product isn’t doing harm.
- You’ll regularly report on the progress of initiatives using a mix of anecdotal and empirical evidence. This includes surfacing relevant and actionable metrics.
- You’ll put in place practices and processes that allow our engineering team to be nimble and respond quickly to changing priorities.
- You’ll put in place processes that give clarity and structure to the engineering team's responsibilities from deployment to bug fixing.
- You’ll work one-on-one with team members to meet their needs.
- You’ll put in place unambiguous career ladders and help people achieve their career goals. You’ll give people regular and constructive feedback.
- You’ll show concern and success for the well-being of others. You’ll do what you can to support people.
- You’ll advocate for the needs of the engineering team. This includes prioritizing a joyful developer experience.
- You’ll continuously monitor the morale of the engineering team and put in place processes to receive regular feedback.
- You’ll work one-on-one with team members to resolve interpersonal issues through healthy conflict resolution.
- You’ll proactively learn about team members’ successes and give them affirmations for their work.
- You’ll expose the engineering team to other teams across the business to help build empathy and connection with the rest of the team.
What We Are Looking For**:**
To thrive in this role, you have some combination of the following:
- Prior experience building engineering teams, larger than 20.