According to the LGBT in Britain survey of 2018:
- Almost one in five LGBT people (18 per cent) who were looking for work said they were discriminated against because of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity while trying to get a job in the last year.
- Almost a third of non-binary people (31 per cent) and one in five trans people (18 per cent) don’t feel able to wear work attire representing their gender expression.
- One in five trans people (21 per cent) wouldn’t report transphobic bullying in the workplace.
- One in eight trans people (12 per cent) have been physically attacked by customers or colleagues in the last year because of being trans.
Stonewall's employee feedback survey of 2020 found the following:
- Only 35 per cent of trans respondents would feel comfortable disclosing their trans identity to all colleagues.
- Just 57 per cent of non-binary respondents said they felt able to be themselves in the workplace, compared to 82 per cent of LGBT men and 81 per cent of LGBT women.
- Only half of trans respondents and half of bi respondents (50 per cent and 52 per cent respectively) felt that their workplace culture was inclusive of them compared to 83 per cent of lesbian and gay respondents.
- 35 per cent of trans respondents would feel comfortable disclosing their trans identity to all managers and senior colleagues. For trans women this is 50 per cent, for trans men this is 30 per cent and for trans non-binary people this is 27 per cent.
- 32 per cent of trans respondents said there were visible trans role models in their workplace.
- Disabled trans respondents were also more frequently subjected to negative comments or conduct relating to their gender identity, 44 per cent compared to 31 per cent of trans respondents who aren’t disabled.
Our own trans workers' survey findings
June Lam created a survey to find out some of the issues, concerns and resources relevant to trans people in creative fields. The survey is still active, and available to complete here:
Our summary of the responses so far:
Primary challenges to a trans workforce -
- Dysphoria & health making work impossible
- Healthcare dictating where you can work