🎮 A big theme of this page is control. You taking control over how work fits into life is central to Our Approach To Flexible Working. We know that many of you will have other responsibilities which will impact this, but know that this is what we’re striving for here.
Set Boundaries When WFH 🚷
Whilst working from home can help you feel control over how work fits into life and be productive, it also comes with many pitfalls. Setting boundaries can help you find better balance and create a healthier working from home routine.
- Try out the ‘at home commute’. On those days when you’re working from home, make the most of not having to commute (if you can). Get up, grab a drink, and go for a walk. You’ll feel better for it and more alert for your day ahead. This can be at any time of the day too! An after work walk is a sure fire way to mark the end of the working day
- Become best friends with your calendar. Spend time at the start of the week, or the day, planning. This could just be your trusty to-do list but to dial-up the efficiency (and control) get some of those to-dos in your calendar. Personal invites (i.e. blocked time) helps to avoid others taking up all of your ‘free’ time
- Set yourself a curfew and switch off notifications. Decide on a time to start and finish work. We know it’s not always as straight forward as that, but try and stick to your preferred working hours. Non-working time is important, even if your evening is relatively free of plans. Take control of your notifications also
- Avoid Zoom fatigue. Yep, it’s a thing. While it’s nice to see and speak to other people throughout the day, make sure your Zoom calls are for a worthy cause. Over doing video calls can be very draining (and unproductive 👀)
Recharge Your Batteries 🔋
📣 Rest is not a reward 📣 it’s essential. Don’t let it get to the point that you’re completely burnt out before you decide it’s time to recharge.
- Try and spot everyday burnout. Eyes starting to blur, getting irritated at everything and everyone, have a million things to do but don’t know where to start... Work matters but health matters more. Look after yourself everyday
- Unplug. When you’re not working, try to unplug and switch off as much as you can. Turn off notifications and put your laptop away
- Take a one-day holiday. You know the drill with taking holiday — use it! But remember that it doesn’t need to be for a trip or an occasion. Time off to re-charge and feel control over how work fits into life is just as important
Create A Great Home Office Set-Up 🪴
We know not everyone will have the luxury of a separate home office. You may need to work from your dining room table or put up a desk in your bedroom each morning. But whatever it looks like, we encourage you to invest some time in setting this up.
- Jazz it up. Get some plants, candles, pictures, a pet, whatever you need to make your home office space be a place you enjoy being
- Get a good chair. Your back will thank you later. Speak with the People team if you don’t have one already