Reinvent speech recognition technologies to empower us collectively
AI is an incredible thing, especially when we put it to the service of humanity — and not the other way around.
We love hearing incredible applications of computer vision, from detecting cancer by looking at your eye or saving your life by making driving autonomous & more secure.
But speech recognition applications? They've stayed pretty much at the gadget level, inundating us with talking alarms and smart home assistants.
Ava is the exception to the rule - the ampersand-shaped peg in a rather boringly square world.
We reinvent speech recognition and speaker identification technologies so we can help 450M deaf & hard-of-hearing people live a fully accessible life. With Ava, they can understand what everyone else is saying in any group conversation, anytime.
A difficult challenge to solve? Yes, and that's what we love.
What really keeps us up at night though, is the thrill to be impacting day to day people in a meaningful way. And see the smile on our users' faces when they use our product.
Don't waste more of your precious gray matter in politics-laden research teams in big companies, and come instead shine your light where the world can see the impact of what you do!
← All Open Positions and More About Ava • Role • About Ava • Apply
About this Role
You'd be perfect for this role if:
- You ambition to be a pioneer in the field, and do what is necessary to make things work in real world situations.
- You familiar to the startup way of doing things and have at least 10 years of overall experience in tech.
- You have 3+ years of experience as scientific and/or engineering leader in machine learning.
- You have worked with highly complex systems in the past and are familiar to dealing with scientific material.
- You have contributed to put machine learning models into production in the past.
- You're of the persistent, yet open-minded and collaborative type: you can own and pursue a research agenda and autonomously carry it out, but appreciate working .
- You care about the strategic and business implications of anything you build. You're not just going after cool stuff — you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- Bonus: You have experience in speaker identification, ASR, NLP, acoustic modeling, language models or source separation.
- Bonus: You have past experience creating high-performance implementations of deep learning algorithms.
What will you do as a Senior Machine Learning Scientist at Ava?