Architect one of the most impactful projects of a generation: rethinking human communication, starting with the deaf & hard-of-hearing
Ava started as a mobile and cloud-based deep-learning system able to uniquely daisy chain mobile devices' microphones to accurately live transcribe any conversation. As users brought it to work and school en masse, the platform quickly added human curation through live professional transcribers, multiple languages, and web / desktop compatibility.
We're looking for an experienced Backend Developer to empower a sharp AI-driven engineering team and the architecture of our systems to be able to reach the next level of scale.
If you've successfully built and scaled systems, including with other engineers, and are able to articulate well together business, product and technical challenges to build a robust backend, and you are now looking to make a huge impact on society, this would be a real ideal position for you.
← All Open Positions and More About Ava • Role • Ava • Apply
About this Role
You'd be perfect for this role if:
- You're skilled with NodeJS, Express, TypeScript, AWS, GCP etc.
- You have a strong desire to empower and cooperate with different teams in different timezones, wanting to really prove yourself as a great engineer and colleague.
- You still want to grow your technical chops, and expect to contribute technically in a meaningful way — this is a startup environment.
- You've built yourself great quality products that have reached a large audience, and have been involved in key decisions regarding building systems for a large scale.
- You can learn technologies as you go, exceptionally fast. To you, technologies are about tools and tradeoffs, not an ideology.
- You care and can think deeply about the business implications of our engineering work. You're not just going after cool stuff — you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- You're a great and articulate communicator and teammate.
- Bonus: You're very familiar with React, Vue.js, WebRTC, Audio processing.
- Bonus: You've designed complex systems among them: call centers, real-time peer-to-peer communications.
- Bonus: MS in Computer Science in top university
- Bonus: You've led or had a senior role within an engineering team before, in a high-growth environment and helped built a strong engineering culture.