Web2 entrepreneurship was a lonely journey of hardship and fierce competition. We believe that together we can accomplish more: stronger projects, better quality of life, and more positive impact.
Our exploration has led us to create not an incubation programme, but a product ecosystem*.*
Not an incubator
It’s not just about giving some money and mentoring to startups. It’s about exploring markets, creating ideas, building them into products and companies, together. We're creating a product ecosystem to build a human collaboration super app - the WeChat of collaboration, built bottom up.
Web2 accelerators focused on an industrial model of entrepreneurship:
- Single, fixed path incubation: startup teams go through a conveyor-belt-like programme and are ejected on the other side, often when they need the most help. Those that don’t make it are left to fend for themselves (or even pressured to close shop).
- “Numbers-game”: the majority are expected to fail, and most of the learnings and expertise are lost.
- Ideas are cheap: no value is given to the ideas of those involved, naturally a few common ideas are repeated over and over, while many valuable opportunities are left untapped.
- Moving fast and breaking things: little time to think about externalities or the consequences of what’s being built, and little care for the mental health of those involved.
- Competition: You give part fo your company away but have no incentives to help anyone else succeed. If your idea is a dead alley, you are alone and will have nothing to show for your hard work.
At RnDAO, we want to do things a bit differently
- Your own journey: multiple ways to engage include (co)leading a venture or bring in your early stage team, contributing to other ventures, and contributing to or co-leading the umbrella organisation (RnDAO itself). You decide what mix of the above works best for you and adapt as needed, so you can both go all-in with a moonshot and have a safe landing path on the other side, reinvest your learnings in the community and/or the next venture, or contribute to multiple initiatives.
- Product Ecosystem: aligned incentives so we can go further together, and stewarded ventures with the support from an expert community focused on inventing the next generation of organisations. We focus on modular products and collaboration across ventures to deliver more complete value propositions for users.
- Deep Research: we compound learnings across ventures, combining academic literature review, market and user research on the problem space to identify untapped opportunities and make sure we’re not ‘solving the wrong problem really well’.
- Pro-social: from our culture to our capital structure, we consider the wellbeing of multiple stakeholders and the systemic implications of what we build.
- Co-owned: we want our community members to also co-own RnDAO, which diversifies some of your risk and gives you participation across multiple projects. This also means every project has a vested interest in the succeeding, leading to a more collaborative and supportive community and stronger ventures.
From -1 to 1