RTVFX Deep Dives
Game VFX Idea Generator Excel Macro.xlsm
Real time vfx (herein rtvfx) is a special subset of vfx work for video games. Real time vfx work is intended to created all kinds of effects in video games. VFX are the shiny tendrils of effects that make a world and it’s characters breath life. VFX effects can include:
- Environmental Effects such as rain, sand, snow, sparks, ash, confetti, fireworks, bubbles, and more
- Destruction effects like fracturing, breaking, demolishing, and splitting
- Fire Effects like fire, smoke, clouds, and everything inbetween
- Liquid effects to create oceans, rivers, foam, bubbles, sprays, blood, chocolate, oils, and more.
Real time vfx works requires understanding modeling, texturing, rigging, animation, and render engine material set-ups. It is a culmination of artistic knowledge and skill joined with technical prowess.
Key Elements to VFX in games
- Anticipation: Does the effect have any elements to lead into the action of the effect?
- Weight/Force: Does the effect have the correct feeling of power and dynamics?
- Presence: Does the effect feel correct in the context of the power/weapon/world?
- Volume: Does the effect sit correctly in 3d space?
- Motion: Does the effect have proper motion? Does the effect support the animation?