Interested in joining us? Check out Q2L Recruitment
What is Quest2Learn?
Quest2Learn is an augmented reality (AR) application that enhances both online and on-campus lab sciences education. Our team has created an app in development with exciting technology using augmented reality and game design to teach courses in lab sciences. Currently, we are developing lab units with Johns Hopkins University (JHU) faculty members. Through Quest2Learn, we aim to address the lack of access to hands-on lab learning during the pandemic. Furthermore, our goal is to enhance lab experiences even in-person learning resumes, and excite students about pursuing careers in biomedical sciences, as well as exposing underprivileged communities to state-of-the-art lab science education.
Our team was recently featured in the JHU newsletter and as a recipient of the Johns Hopkins grant supporting innovative uses of technology in education:
Hopkins funds undergraduate-led team to improve online lab courses
Quest2Learn team hopes to improve virtual lab classes
Try our app in development! (Available both in Android and iOS)
Setting up Quest2Learn
Scan this QR code to open the download instructions on your phone:
Please see the details below if you are interested in joining the team! We are looking for designers and AR & app developers.
Why are we developing Quest2Learn?
- The COVID-19 pandemic has severely disrupted education for many, highlighting the lack of adequate online lab learning platforms. ****Unlike lectures that have transitioned online via video conference apps, laboratory subjects that rely on training tactile laboratory skills and specific equipment are not as easily adapted.
- Our goal is that Quest2Learn will provide students with an interactive way to learn laboratory techniques in a virtual setting, through a simulated lab learning experience in AR and a "gamification" approach. With interactive and realistic simulations, students can develop practical hands-on lab skills.
- Our simulations are developed hand in hand with faculty at JHU based on their lab courses to ensure content accuracy and credibility. Quest2Learn will be used in the course setting to enhance the ability of instructors to teach both remotely and in person as part of JHU and beyond.
What we have been working on?
- We have held meetings with professors from the Chemistry and Biology Departments as well as from the Bloomberg School of Public Health, who have given us tremendous support for using the app in their different courses in the next few semesters. One lab course is under development, and the first complete product will be formed in Fall 2021.
- We have a complete proof of concept prototype ready with sample AR units, app mockups with defined features, etc., and is under the user testing phase.