Hello, Tim Brown here. This document is about a Flexible Typesetting exercise on CodePen.
This page is public.
The exercise, for reference
Open on CodePen for the best experience.
- Ideas about how to improve the exercise
- Feedback from educators
- Screenshots of the exercise in use by students
- Help from developers (scroll down to Status)
- Open this pen in several browser tabs.
- In each browser tab, make adjustments to any properties you wish using the controls. Take your time. Try to make it look good.
- Toggle between browser tabs, or put windows side by side, and review. Note the numbers below the paragraph.
- Goal: Help students develop their sense of balance in a text block.
- Property values are purposely unlabeled in the controls area, so that students focus more on how the text feels than on the numbers.
- Discussion ideas:
- How visually similar were each of your solutions? Compare as individuals, compare with a partner.
- Which properties feel most important to get right?
- Which properties seem to cause the most disruption?
- Relationship among font size, measure, and line spacing
- Relationship among line spacing, word spacing, and letter spacing
- Relationship between font size, line spacing, and margins
- What do you think would happen if you changed the font?