As you can tell from our company name, we like to do things our own way. At freistil IT, “working freestyle” means:
- We’re self-funded. We haven’t ever brought in outside financing. Since our earliest days this has been very important in providing freedom to shape the company and its business practices.
- We’re opinionated. We make our own decisions about how and with whom we do business. This has been essential for us to gain an enthusiastic customer base and a clear direction.
- We work in a Results-Only Work Environment. We all share the responsibility for the success of our company, and success only comes from results that drive the business forward. In a ROWE, time spent in an office chair is not an adequate management metric. It’s only the results that count. (More on this below.)
We’re a 100% distributed team and Gitlab’s Remote only website provides a good summary of the goals and practices we’re aiming at.
Our vision and values
Our long-term strategy is based on the V2MOM model created by Marc Benioff. In his book “Behind the Cloud”, he talks about the planning process he used to grow Salesforce.com to the world’s largest SaaS company. It has five elements, “Vision”, “Values”, “Methods”, “Obstacles”, and “Metrics”, short “V2MOM”. The goal of V2MOM is to create alignment from the CEO through to every front-line employee.
- Vision – The big picture idea
- Values – The main 3-5 driving values
- Methods – Specific tactics to achieve our goals
- Obstacles – Things that are working against our success
- Metrics – Key performance indicators for the right results
A key aspect of V2MOM is that we use this model on every level of the company, beginning from a company-wide V2MOM down to the individual team member’s V2MOM.
Here’s our company-wide V2MOM. A V2MOM is never set in stone; it needs to undergo regular reviews, so expect this section to change eventually.
- Deliver world-class managed IT services to customers who mean the world to us.
- Build a team of experts that complement, inspire and advance each other.
- Foster a company culture that values fun and creativity.