(Please take this advice as general in nature and choose what best works for you and your situation).
N2x Important Performance Recommended Service Intervals:
- Every 10,000 Kilometres or 6,000 Miles for Engine Oil.
- Every 65,000 Kilometres or 40,000 Miles for Transmission Fluid.
- Spark Plugs replace every 25,000 Kilometres or 15,000 Miles if your Spark Plugs are gapped to 0.022” (inches) service sooner if you have them gapped lower.
- Differential Fluid every 65,000 Kilometres or 40,000 Miles.
- Coolant and Brake Fluid every 65,000 Kilometres or 40,000 Miles.
N2x Preventative Maintenance Information:
- Vehicles built on or before JAN 2015 or JAN 2016 for Manual Gearbox Variant N2x's Should have their entire Timing chain + Guides + Sprockets + Tensioner + Oil pump chain, Guides and Sprocket replaced before the 120,000 KM or 80,000 Miles. This is because throughout 2015, the timing chain & oil pump drive system went through a variety of changes with the last change coming into effect from JAN 2016 onwards for Manual Gearbox Vehicles. Since a vast majority of N20/26's were sold in Auto Gearbox configurations, most owners would need to ensure they have the parts manufactured from JAN 2015 installed.
- RWD N20, used in a performance application should look into having the sump updated to an Aluminium Pan + Baffle plate (URO sell the Aluminium Pan, and Navardi Tuned sells the baffle plates). The stock pump under high lateral left and right turns including braking, causes the oil to move away from the pickup, causing irreversible engine damage.
- Vehicles built before SEP 2015 should have their turbo oil feed line updated, BMW introduced a check valve to stop oil from draining from the turbo and causing bearing damage.
- Diverter Valve upgrade, stock units are known to crack and leak under boost.
- Charge Pipe upgrades, stock units are known to crack and leak under boost.
- Turbo inlet, stock units are known to crack
- Oil Catch Can, helps eliminate carbon /sludge build up within the cylinder head/Intake valves.
Recommended N2x Oils - Recommended Oil Specifications are API SN/CF and Ester based Full Synthetic in either a 0W40, 5w40 or 10w40 depending on your climate. We recommend non BMW spec oil because it has been seen in most cases that 0W20 is too thin and can cause bearing damage, 0W30 or equivalent is fine, but we recommend a W40 oil as added protection to bearing surfaces. Whilst using the BMW Oil Spec LL-xx (such as LL-01, LL-14 etc). if you aren't going long periods between services and are using the car in a performance orientated manner the LL ratings aren't as important, and the API/SAE ratings would be more of a guideline we would suggest you follow. Although usually you will find oils in the fully synthetic category follow a vast majority of oil standards including a form of BMW's LL-xx specification.
Below are some recommended Oil brands/products:
- Penrite 10 TENTHS RACING 10 or Premium-O
- Motul Excess 8100
- Motul Sport 5w40
- Nulon High Performance Full Synthetic
- Royal Purple RP or HPS branded oils