What do we want?
The aim of the cohort is to
- Excite students to self learn
- Make learning relevant
- Engage students during class - class shouldn't just be about teacher teaching.
- Teach them practical and hands-on skills
How can we get there?
Increase class engagement :
Pick any of the mentioned activities daily and try to incorporate this
- In the first 5 min of the class ask them to brief you a news
- Ask questions from the students - "What if" Question can be one form of a question for e.g. if you are teaching them about humans you can ask them "What if there were no humans?"
- Quiz: Prepare 5 questions related to the topic that was being taught in the previous class and ask them, specific students, to answer.
- Class summary at the end by anyone student
- Presentations: Ask each student to prepare a presentation and assign a topic that was being taught in the week
- Tell the students the topic you will be teaching in the next class and ask them to read about it prepare a question about it]
How to coordinate the classes?
Talk to at least two educators on daily basis and try to find out :
- What was being taught in the class?
- What was the student interaction?
- If you think that educators can improve in the way they engage or the way they decide the topic for the next class, feel free to help them
- What do they plan to teach next?
- Check their sheets and help them with what they can improve
- Remind them about the self learning class and the test that are conducted bi-weekly
- Is there any problem you faced during the class or while interacting with the students
Talk to at least one student every day and try to find out :
Talk to students from orphanage (Beginner, Intermediate, Expert batch) , Community batch
- How was the class?
- Find out more about their life, what's their schedule apart from the classes, their interests, hobbies, what they want to be, their favourite subject, their relationship with their siblings, etc.
- What new did they learn in the last couple of classes?
- Was the class interesting enough?
- Is there anything else that they want to learn in the class?