💡 The slides for this lecture can be found here.
A business case aims to fulfil a business need.
Preparing a business case for a project is our first assignment.
- A project could be enabling a business initiative or strategy, supporting a merger or utilizing a new technology.
- A business case should be concise.
Many different business analysis techniques.
Certain elements need to be defined in a business case:
- Business needs
- Business requirement
- Business value
- Assumptions, issues and constraints
Elements that should be defined in a business case.
A systems request describes the business reasons for a project.
- It defines the system's expected value, forcing the sponsor to formalize their ideas.
- It is the first step to defining whether a project is feasible.
- A business case and a system request are very similar, but the difference is that a system request is put forward by the business, and a business case is presented to the business.