FACTS ABOUT VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN
- On average, every six days a woman in Canada is killed by her intimate partner. In 2009, 67 women were murdered by a current or former spouse or boyfriend.
- On any given day in Canada, more than 3,000 women (along with their 2,500 children) are living in an emergency shelter to escape domestic violence.
- Each year, over 40,000 arrests result from domestic violence - that’s about 12% of all violent crime in Canada. Since only 22% of all incidents are reported to the police, the real number is much higher.
- As of 2010, there were 582 known cases of missing or murdered Aboriginal women in Canada.
- In just one year in Canada, 427,000 women over the age of 15 reported they had been sexually assaulted. Since only about 10% of all sexual assaults are reported to the police, the actual number is much higher.
- Half of all women in Canada have experienced at least one incident of physical or sexual violence since the age of 16.
- 61% of all Canadians say they personally know at least one woman who has been sexually or physically assaulted.
- More than one in ten Canadian women say they have been stalked by someone in a way that made them fear for their life.
- The cost of violence against women in Canada for health care, criminal justice, social services and lost wages and productivity has been calculated at $4.2 billion per year.
QUOTATIONS FROM ISLAMIC SOURCES
“The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another: they enjoin what is just, and forbid what is evil: they observe regular prayers, practise regular charity, and obey Allah and His Messenger. On them will Allah pour His mercy: for Allah is Exalted in power, Wise.” (Qur’an, 9:71).
“And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquillity with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect.” (Qur’an, 30:21).
SAYINGS AND SUNNAH OF PROPHET MUHAMMAD (PEACE BE ON HIM)