Hi, I’m Ian! 👋
I am a Principal UX Researcher at MetaLab, where I help build and ship world-class products built to serve human needs.
Creativity is about connecting observation with imagination.
Ohai, it's a me, Ian (photo of Ian) 👋
Experience, methods, and tools
both in-person and remote
I have a breadth of experience, focus on rigor, and systems thinking approach that are very tough to find (according to my opinion).
- I am comfortable with a range of mixed methods research from qual to quant, and often select multiple methods which complement one another
- I have directly presented my findings to a few gajillionaires and countless c-suites
- I have contributed to projects ranging from business strategy through to development
- I am self-managing and have led research projects from estimation through final delivery
- I recruit equitably with a mind toward inclusion, vulnerable populations, and user jobs
- I have extensive experience collaborating on high-performing cross-functional teams
- I have experience collaborating with designers, developers, and product stakeholders
- I carry forward key opportunities into product iteration and evaluation
But don't take my word for it...
*"It was an absolute pleasure to collaborate with Ian.
His commitment to human-centered design, thoughtfulness towards asking the most important questions, and ability to detect the critical signals among all of the data he collected really helped our team with some high-priority decisions. Moreover, Ian’s research informed our team’s roadmaps going forward.
He was able to adapt to working across different types of materials - a live product, the product in staging, and prototypes - to gather an incredible amount of insights.
5 stars: would definitely collaborate with again!
– ****[Kristin Hendrix](<https://www.linkedin.com/in/kristinshendrix/>)
Director of UX** – a tech philanthropy
(now Head of Research at Instagram)*
In the last five years I've:
- Led research phases on 20+ product-focused design research projects
- Moderated 300+ in-depth interviews, usability tests, card sorts, etc
- Authored countless reports, contributed to durable artifacts, and design iterations across hundreds of product sprints