Software you should install on your machine
Microsoft Office (free with Columbia UNI)
- JMS will create an account for you with your Columbia email
Adobe Creative Suite (ask JMS for license details)
- Will need to create an account with your Columbia email
- Join chroMetab account
Fiji or ImageJ
- We have 2 ‘seats’ for creative suite that allow installation on two computers each. Each seat can only be used by one computer at a time i.e. if person1 has logged into Adobe Creative Suite with one account and opens any Adobe app then other person2 logged in to the same account cannot open any Adobe app until person1 closes the app.
The Lab Server
- smb://chroMetab or smb://10.115.28.28 (on Mac type command-K from the finder; on Windows PC type \\10.115.28.28 from Windows Explorer
- You will have your own lab folder on the chroMetab server:
- from Mac you can also type AFP://chroMetab or AFP://10.115.28.28
- JMS will provide username (first part of your email) and password (chroMetab#22 but you can change it on login)
- NB you can also access the server from outside CUMC so long as you are connected to CUMC through VPN
- Desktops and Laptops have a very limited amount of hard-drive space that is not regularly backed up. Please store all your lab data in your dedicated folder in the chroMetab server. The server is HUGE (4x4Tb), expandable, has redundant data (ie if one drive fails the data is still ok) AND will be backed up to a Cloud service.