One and a half years ago, this was the most important thing to me. Look how the tables turned.
- So I can do better at what matters. DECA is not as important to me as other things I want to achieve (quantum, startup, network, videos). I want to actively cut out anything that doesn't align with how I see myself in 20 years. Declutter your life. Less things to focus on = can do each thing better.
- Doesn't bring joy.
- Doesn't bring better future — don't think I'll learn more.
- Arbitrary contingency over arbitrary judge score. Doesnt reflect real business (I came in deca bc i want real business.) Legit business: no score, only your ability to solve a customer's problem or improve your customer's life.
- Reward cycle of scores. That's the environment I was in most of my life: anxiety over test results, getting awards, etc. I work so hard to get awards, then when I get this award I'm not satisfied—I just want more. But what I found is that no amount of awards will bring you long term joy, just like money: once you get some you keep wanting more. Your hard work on work that fulfils you brings joy.
- Instead, I want to spend time on what's internally fulfilling, instead of doing DECA for the awards.
The original reasons I wanted DECA were
- Business knowledge. I wanted to start a comp while inspired by Elon
- Go to ICDC (go to the states)
Now, they don't apply anymore.
- Business knowledge
- You know what would help me get business knowledge for entrepreneurship? If i start a startup. why don't I start a startup? because I don't have the time for it, since all my time is pre-occupied by useless shit like DECA.
- I can self study business stuff. I can invest. I've already gotten basic business knowledge from DECA.
- action items for getting business knowledge: read 4 hour workweek. touch up on business terms you don't understand/go down rabbit holes. invest. network. start avocado.
- DECA, just like debate, optimizes you for a very specific type of presentation. These skills and habits you pick up from bs-ing roleplays don't transfer over to other presentations. They may hurt you.
- Speaking skills — have already improved from DECA and at this point with the DECA roleplay structure I don't think i will improve more at speaking with DECA. I will though with filming Nate O'Brien videos, podcasting, speaking at conferences or giving presentations at hackathons.
- Go to ICDC
So luck based. Contingent on an arbitrary judge scoring. Already proven from Taira that scores don't accurately reflect reality and are influenced by a judge's biases.
Extrinsic like ICDC won't make you happier than doing what brings intrinsic satisfaction.
I don't think going to ICDC will make me happy.
So what if I don't go to the states? It's nothing special. I bet that once I go I won't think much of it.
need ICDC awards for uni. once again, seeking outside validaton.
- Seeking awards. like i learned from my medals, awards don't make you happier. it's an empty success.
- luck based whether you get these awards or not
University is never a sole justification for anything you do, because you can align university with what you enjoy. You can get into university on making music, on sports, on having 1k subscribers, on artificial intelligence development, on what lines with how u see urself in 10 years.
Also possibly universities care more about your character and your drive than your shiny medals.
Well at least, what really matters such as entrepreneurial success does not depend on awards at all.
So I quit. DECA takes a lot of time to study for. Why spend this much time on something non compounding?