For this tutorial, you will need access to Solidworks. The basic steps can be applied towards inventor and Fusion 360, however the buttons and names may look different
Initial Goal: Create a cube and cylinder to represent an X and O for tic-tac-toe
Realized Outcome: Success
Steps to achieve outcome
Create a Cube
Step 1 : Open Solidworks and create a new part file
- A pop-up browser will show up, with 3 options (part, assembly and drawing)
Step 2: Create a sketch on any plane.
- [ ] Right-click any plane, the front plane for example, and select the option Create Sketch
Step 3: Create a square
- [ ] In the toolbar above, use the drop menu for a rectangle and select center point rectangle
- [ ] Select the origin of the front plane (the red arrows in the middle) and create a rectangle
- [ ] Assign dimensions to fully define the sketch. Select smart dimension and then select the edge of the rectangle.
Step 4: Create a cube
- [ ] In the toolbar above, select Features
- [ ] Select the extrude feature
- [ ] Enter the desired extrude length
Step 5: Create an X-shape on the cube
- [ ] Right-click on the cube surface and select Create Sketch
- [ ] From the toolbar above, select line and draw a line from one corner of the cube to the opposite corner to create a diagonal. Ensure the "For Construction" option is select
- [ ] Repeat the previous step for the other line.
- [ ] Select Center Rectangle from the rectangle drop down menu. Select the intersection of the two diagonals and create the rectangle.
- [ ] Select an edge of the rectangle and a diagonal line
- [ ] Select Parallel from the browser on the left hand side
- [ ] Assign arbitrary dimensions for the rectangle
- [ ] Repeat the previous steps, but now select the other diagonal line
- [ ] Select Extrude Cut under the features tab. The rectangles will automatically be select and the feature can be created by clicking the green check mark
Create a Cylinder
- Step 1 : Open Solidworks and create a new part file