Basics: why our holidays & leave policy is important
- In a nutshell, we want our team to take the time off they need in order to do their best work, from the start of the year to the end. That doesn’t just mean taking a certain number of days per year – it also means spreading out holidays across the year so we don’t burn out from long stretches without a break.
- Taking time off is very important to make sure we can keep our productivity high, but it's also important for our physical and mental health and for being able to reflect and embed learnings (and of course to have a condensed amount of fun!)
- Fair HQ is a startup with a huge mission Fair HQ vision & values. Our work weeks are hectic, sometimes stressful, rarely 40 hours and the days are rarely 9 to 5. So time off is especially important.
- Even though we're a remote team, our customer base is in the UK (now, later in the US), so we're following the UK yearly schedule and bank holidays - basically, we work when our clients do. 😉
Holidays at Fair HQ in a nutshell
- We offer 30 days of holidays in total - 22 bookable holidays per calendar year + 8 bank holidays based on the 🇬🇧 UK calendar (see when).
- You're eligible for these holidays whether you're a UK employee or a full-time contractor working outside of the UK.
- Holidays cannot be rolled over to the next calendar year.
- Everyone is encouraged to take at least 5 days off each quarter.
- You can take up to 5 days of holiday during the probation period
- Everyone is required to take at least 20 days of holiday every year to ensure long term productivity, good mental health and to prevent burnout & long term sickness.
- Our "office", remote or not, will be closed between Christmas and New Year as most of our clients will be resting too. You can choose to book this time off as well if you'd prefer an extended holiday period, or you can choose to work and spend your holiday allowance any other time.
Other forms of paid leave at Fair HQ
- You can take up to 4 sick days a year on top of UK statutory allowance (for UK employees only) or your country of residence allowance
- Each person is eligible for 3 personal days off a year without giving any reason to your manager or a team (some people choose to use them for religious holidays or mental health)
- Family leave (to take care of one's family) - up to 3 days per year
- Bereavement leave - up to 2 days (including a day for the funeral attendance)
- Miscarriage leave - up to 5 days. Both parents are eligible to take miscarriage leave in the event that this happens.
- Exceptional paid leave might be granted after agreement with your manager