West Tytherley was held by Thegn Alwig son of Thurbert in 1086, paying geld for 3 hides and 1 virgate. Before the Conquest it was held by three free men as three manors of King Edward and paid geld for 4 hides and 1 virgate. There were 7½ acres of meadow and woodland for fencing. According to the testimony of men of the hundred, two of the men who held it before the Conquest were killed in the Battle of Hastings, and the hundred affirmed that they had never seen the King’s seal or that of his officer, by right of which Alwine Ret, the predecessor of Alwig, held the manor.
They thus claimed that unless the King gave testimony, Alwig had no possessions there. A chapel at West Tytherley was one of six in the manor of Mottisfont held by the Archbishop of York in 1086. In the 13th century, the manor was held by the King in serjeantry, and in 1334 it was bought by Roger Norman. His family were succeeded by the Whitheds by 1433.