So maybe you’re new or perhaps you’ve been here a while. Either way you want to be the best and contribute to creating an effective team. We want you to be amazing too. So we've written up this page in the hope that by being explicit on how we work (and aspire to work) that we can make it easy to understand how to get the most out of our interaction, with the least amount of effort. Everything we do stems from our values so here’s guide on how to operate within that framework.
So, let's get going..🤩
Clear Thinking. Deliberate Decisions 💡🔍🔦
- We value high quality outcomes over effort, although expect effort to be a given. This means that we challenge everything we do to ensure we're rigorous with our decisions and clear about our assumptions. When we have ab idea we break it down and build back up again. Our aim here is to make thoughtful and deliberate decisions that have great outcomes or at least learn which assumptions caused us to err, so we can get it right the next time.
Be open, be humble, be honest 🤲🐑👼
- In order to be rigorous, we need to be open to listening, humble enough to accept other points of view and direct in our interactions. This really requires a high degree of honesty and getting to the point quickly. No code. No politics. You start with an understanding that nothing is personal. Everyone leaves their ego at the door. It's about getting the right answer rather than being right.
Don't be busy, be effective 🦁🐱🏍💥
- Our time is precious so we want to make sure we spend it wisely. You’re unlikely to work the usual long hours found in the startup world - everyone needs balance. But while you’re here, make sure you’re making the best use of your time.
Focus on the big things, not everything. How you choose to spend your time has an opportunity cost. Expect to ask yourself or be asked, is your time being spent as effectively as possible. (If you want to dive into this topic see tunnelling) NNNNNeway... before we put the foot on the gas, lets make sure we're going in the right direction. Similarly if you’re not sure why you’ve been asked to do something, challenge it.
- 🏄♀️ This approach isn’t for everyone. Practising extreme rigour and being super clear on why your position makes sense is a skill that is developed over time. It’s not the only way to be successful, but it’s how we do things here. Once you get on board with it we promise you won’t look back.
- ❤️ Please don’t mistake our direct approach for a lack of empathy. Build Trust is up top on our list of values for a reason. We embrace failure, mistakes are how we learn and eventually get it right. We care deeply about each other. If it feels like someone is being a dick, again we’re doing it wrong.
- 💪 You are responsible for your success and we give you the autonomy to get shit done. If you are not feeling empowered to come up with innovative ideas and do your best work then we’ve failed.
The tools we use to communicate
- We work flexibly but value human interaction. If you’re in the office and have a question for someone, go and talk to them. If something is more complex than a simple sentence or two, pick up the phone or set up a F2F.
- We Slack a lot. Possibly too much. In the interests of transparency we try to keep things in public channels where appropriate. If you need someone to respond quickly or need to notify a group, Slack is your means.
- Email is usually reserved for external interactions.
- Every team has their specialised software (Planhat, Salesforce, Clubhouse etc) but for everything else, we generally use Notion.