- No previous experience is required. Open to all majors and backgrounds.
- In order to join you should:
- You can also join the mailing list, for minimal communication.
Blockchain@Columbia (B@C) is open to complete novices and decentralised geniuses alike. At B@C, you can meet others interested in blockchain, learn about the basics, take a deep dive into complex topics, listen to speakers and launch your own projects. Here is a list of some of the things we do:
- Social events: for meeting people with similar interests, preferably with some Columbia-sponsored pizza in hand.
- Workshops: these are opportunities to learn about and discuss a range of topics including the basics, DeFi, NFT's, the intersection of blockchain and the law, DApp development, the mathematical underpinnings etc.
- Events: every year we host LedgerFest where we get some of the biggest names in blockchain to come and speak to us. Hackathons and other big events are also on the cards so get excited.
- Grants: the club incentivises its members to do cool decentralised things by giving out grants for projects. Grants are intended for undertakings like publishable research articles or DApp's, but the scope isn't very specific so come ahead with any ideas you have.
- "Incubator": we aren't taking a stake in anyone's startup, but we want to help people starting up new projects/companies get connected to people who can help or partner with them.
- Job Opportunities: hiring in blockchain is still quite fragmented with new companies popping up everywhere. The industry is hungry for talent, we have a job board which can help you get involved.
- Social media
- Twitter: @BlockchainatCU
- Subscribe to our newsletter
- If you really want to be an overachiever and dig a bit deeper, here are the slides from our opening meeting this year.
What you need to do now
- If you aren't feeling too sure if this is for you (it is, don't worry). Come to our next general meeting to get a feel for what we are about. If you aren't sure when that will be, check the google calendar here, check Discord, or email us.
- Join Discord or telegram and the google calendar! Another low-noise option is the mailing list. ****Also feel free to add a picture of yourself and your background to our member page. Most of the action happens on the discord with some general discussion on the telegram. Use the calendar and mailing list to keep track of events and the discord for all conversations.
- If you are new to blockchain we recommend that you attend one of our Basic Foundations sessions. Here we will give you a quick intro into what blockchain is all about and opportunities in the space. Check the google calendar, ask on Discord or reach out directly to find out when the next session will be. If you feel like you are reading to hit the ground running, then you are welcome to skip this part and start attending club events and be added to the DAO (more on this below) 😎.
If you aren't familiar with what DAO's are, don't worry we will explain it to you soon (a quick web search should also do the trick).
Joining Lion DAO