Guidance for community-based navigators seeking to help hard-to-reach clients access the Advance Child Tax Credit (AdvCTC) or Economic Impact Payment (EIP or Stimulus).
This page provides training materials and resources for community organizations and volunteers. If you need to file a simplified return to claim the Child Tax Credit or stimulus payments, go to GetCTC.org and click "File your simplified return." If you need assistance, click "Chat with us."
Millions of families are eligible for thousands of dollars in Child Tax Credit and stimulus payments from the IRS, but won’t receive them because they haven’t recently filed taxes, or their information on file with the IRS is out of date. You can help these families by becoming a Navigator.
Navigators don’t have to be tax experts. Navigators are trusted, community-based guides that help marginalized families utilize IRS tools, and understand and complete the process of filing their taxes.
As a Navigator, you’ll help families:
- Figure out which forms — if any — they need to complete to get their money.
- File simplified tax returns to get CTC and stimulus payments using GetCTC.org.
- Update their data with the IRS using the CTC Update Portal.
- Start the process of filing a full tax return at GetYourRefund.org.
1. Getting Started
To get started as a Navigator:
- Learn the essential responsibilities of a Navigator by reviewing this guide. We'll introduce you to the Navigator role, and give you the basic information you need to determine the right next steps for families, based on their tax situation.
- Watch a short demo of GetCTC. Get a quick tour of GetCTC’s simplified filing portal. The portal is mobile-friendly, available in English and Spanish, and can be used as an alternative to the IRS Non-Filer Sign-Up tool. Users are only eligible for this service if their 2020 income is below a certain level — $12,400 if filing single, or $24,800 if filing married.
- Complete this form to sign up for updates and request a unique URL. To help you track the number of clients served, we can provide a unique URL that will record the number of people you refer to GetCTC, and the number of tax returns filed using your URL. In return, we ask that you tell us some basic information about your services so we can better learn from the work being done in the field.
Key Additional Resources
Here are few more core resources you may find yourself referencing frequently when helping families. Take a quick look before you get started so you know what’s here. It’s ok if you can’t memorize everything, as long as you know where to find the information later.