This is a work-in-progress guide to help you raise money from investors.
Tap into your existing networks.
- Create a template for your outreach through LinkedIn. Make it brief.
- First sentence should be about how you know the person and/or why you're reaching out to them.
- Second is a one-sentence description of your company.
- Third details your major achievements (just a few bullet points).
- Last is the ask to hop on a call to discuss further.
- Go to your LinkedIn connections and search for keywords. For example...
- Sports investor
- Sports VC
- Sort the connections by 1st degree and start going through the results one by one.
- Find one ice-breaker in their profile - usually it's their investment thesis that fits your company.
- Use the template that you've created for your outreach and put the ice breaker in the first sentence to catch their eye.
- Fearlessly hit send.
We made you a list of free, open-source databases filled with investors you can add to your lead list. Enjoy!
See investor databases.
Cold outreach. 🥶
Since cold outreach is more time consuming and less effective make sure you FULLY use ALL of your personal networks and networks of your mentors and people who are willing to help you before moving on to this step.
- Get yourself a free trial on Crunchbase (CB). We've done like 7 of these using the same exact card. Make sure you cancel it on time, otherwise they'll charge you for the whole year.
- Go into advanced settings → investors → filters → investments.