- The syntax for basic operations is the same as Excel:
- You can reference variables in formulas by typing the variable name and selecting it from the autocomplete dropdown.
- If you select a cell, you can see + edit its formula in the formula bar at the top of the spreadsheet
- If you double click on a cell, you can see + edit its formula in-line in the spreadsheet
- You can add comments to your formulas with a double slash
// Everything between
// and the end of the line will be ignored by Causal
- Click on Show Formulas in the top-left of the spreadsheet to see all the formulas in your model
You'll often want variables to change over time.
Here are some examples, with corresponding Causal formulas. The formulas are explained in the next section.
Linear growth: increasing a variable by an absolute value each month
**Customers** = **Customers**[previous] + **New Customers**