We need to fix the schooling system (ref. ACX). It was not designed, it evolved; and motivated by forces far removed from any of our actual goals.
- Schools emphasize more schooling. Everything always evolves to enlarge itself. But how much schooling is a good thing? The marginal benefit of schooling today is almost certainly negative for every important outcome, including education.
- Schools emphasize geographical coincidence. You go to school with the people who live near you. In 1935 this was the only conceivable option. Today you can have distributed classes on Zoom.
- Schools distribute social services. The amount of time kids spend at school buildings should be unrelated to the amount of time that should be spent on schooling and education.
The primary two purposes of primary school are "social integration", and "day care". Education is a tertiary purpose.
Regarding the "day care" aspect: schools should have "day care" from 6:00 to 8:30AM and from 3:30 to 7:00PM. Educational programming is from 9:00AM to 3:00PM, with an hour break for lunch + recess. (a window of 5 hours per day - max 4 hours programmed for 1st and 2nd grade, 3 hours for kindergarten and preK)
Government curricula for education are offered.
- We expect content to be delivered in 1-2 hours of video content per day of instruction, plus physical activities.
The high-level purpose of the curriculum:
- Fluency - ability to speak English
- Literacy - ability to read and write English
- Sign Language Familiarity - ability to communicate basic concepts in ASL
- Second Language Familiarity - ability to complete basic tasks in Spanish
- In certain areas of the country, other languages (such as French, Japanese, or Navajo) may be substituted
- Kinesthetics - ability to complete obstacle courses
- Fitness - ability to run 1 km in under 7 minutes and bike 5 miles (8km) in under 30 minutes
- Shared Cultural Background - the The Matter of America.
- Technological Literacy - ability to use cell phones, computers, and food preparation appliances
- Financial Literacy - ability to understand what money is and how to use it