New version (just a cheat sheet) working area and outline
Some of Discord’s most helpful features are hidden behind unlabelled icons or buried below layers of options menus.
I clicked all those icons and went deep into all the menus, and now I’m back with screenshots and examples of everything you need to know to become a Discord pro in no time:
- Unique usernames with special characters and emojis
- Text formatting tricks to make your messages clear and readable
- Using the Inbox to make sure you don’t miss any mentions or important messages
- Knowing where to find the info to get past gatekeepers on interesting Discord servers
- How to create a custom status that shows up in member lists and group chats
- Adding friends, blocking enemies
- Basic keyboard shortcuts and combos
Your username and avatar
Your username and avatar are how you’ll be recognized when using Discord.
Change your username
Change your username if you don’t like the first one you chose. (Or if there are too many Tommys on the server.)
- Click the Gear icon ⚙️ to open the User Settings menu. (Right-click the Gears icon to open a list of all the categories in the User Settings menu.)
- Click the Edit button by your username.