May 2019 / Crumbs / Product Design / UX Research
< Back to home
How might we make baking at home an easier & delightful experience?
Designed an app with a seamless user experience, easy-to-follow recipes & helpful app features
UX Research & Product Design
April 2019 - May 2019
Crumbs is a baking app that makes it easy to bake at home.
The goal of the Crumbs app is to help hobby bakers bake better at home with easy-to-follow recipes & helpful app features like personalized recommendations, quick filters based on difficulty, time, utensils, etc., hands-free modes, how-to guides, built-in timer & conversation scales, easy substitutes of ingredients, and an easy ordering system.
Most cooking apps are just mobile-friendly versions of a cookbook.
Apart from the fact that there is no dedicated baking recipe app on the market right now, I found that many cooking apps have the following issues:
- Unable to filter recipes by time, ingredients, complexity, etc.
- Difficulty to find substitutes for ingredients & utensils.
- Doesn't provide a personalized experience to the user.
- Ignores dietary restrictions & allergies of the user.
- Lacks built-in tools like timer and unit conversion.
Ideal User Journey Map
Based on the finding, I created an ideal user journey map for the app.
Understanding users and needs
Comparative analysis: I compared features of other cooking apps in the market – SideChef, Cookpad, Yummly, Jamie's Recipes, & Kitchen Stories
User reviews: I read reviews of other recipes and mobile apps and identified patterns in what users liked and disliked
User interviews: I conducted 5 in-person interviews with millennials with different levels of baking experience (See interview questions)
During my user interview sessions, I created an empathy map that noted down how they felt, what they thought, what they said, and what they did.
- People browse 4-5 recipes before deciding.
- People prefer watching short instruction clips rather than a long tutorial of the recipe. They need both videos and written instructions about the recipe.
- Having all the correct ingredients & utensils is the largest barrier for users. They prefer recipes with fewer ingredients & utensils.
- 60% of users prefer to find recipes to cook with what they have in their house.
- Number one want for home bakers: Quick & easy
- 6 out of 10 people spend less than 30 mins in prep time.
- Baking tools gadgets & tools that facilitate baking & cleaning are on the rise.
- Convenience tops the list of reasons people like shopping online for groceries (67%), followed by delivery options (59%), and item descriptions (59%)
- 1 out of 4 users has dietary restrictions.
- Baking is perceived as a positive, fun skill that impresses others.
Features Prioritization based on user needs
- Personalized Recipe Suggestions
- Substitutes for ingredients & utensils
- Search recipes by ingredients; not just by recipe name
- Filters for dietary restrictions
- Always-on display & Hands-Free mode
- Built-in tools like timer, conversion levels, shopping list
- Integrated ordering system